Sunday, April 12, 2015

Leaking rear window, dammit.

I was yesterday at the garage to do a clean up on those rear window corners and as I scrape and poke that surface rust away, I noticed how the sound was a different on that tight corner. As I poke and scrape a bit more it revealed a rusty edge of sheet metal.


As you can see it's straight through, but that light that you can see is inside c-pilar which doesn't lead to inside the cabin. And it wasn't that bad before I started poking it with a screwdriver. So now I have to cut it up and make a template from cardboard and make a small piece from the sheet metal to fit in and spot weld it in place. And same thing to the other side.

I was affraid that it was this bad and I was relieved that it wasn't as I post on my last post, but now I am a bit of stressed. I know how to use welder and bend the steel, but it's always a bit of work for me as I am not used to fabricate sheet metal for tight spots and corners. It takes time and patience. I was hoping that this would have come to me when I have planned whole stripping down to bare metal and do it propeply.

Well now I guess I have to do it because I have the window off and there are still time left before I'll take her out in the open road for a drive. Driving season is planned to start in mid-May. So till next time I'll be in the garage and keep you updated on how this little project goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment