Sunday, September 12, 2021

Should I get 5th Gen instead?


Last weekend I was having a BBQ and sauna with my childhood friends and we talked about my "obsession" over 3rd gen El Caminos. That lead me to think that I have always wanted a 5th gen El Camino, especially from 1982 to 1987 with the quad headlights. Those aren't that rare, but not as plenty as the first few years of 5th gen, 1978 to 1981.

I always fancied those later years 5th gen as my daily driver, the work horse if you will and then for the weekend drive a 3rd gen. Now I have a Volvo as my daily driver, without the party in the back, and I don't really need a three cars, right?

So there is the want to have one, but not the reason.

As the fuel prices keep on rising I have thought about getting an electric car as for my daily driver. Those are getting cheaper and cheaper to buy, but the lack of infrastructures for charging that electric car is non-existing in here where I live. And I can't charge at my apartment. At least not yet.

Then we talked, me mostly, about turning an El Camino into an electric El Camino. And I didn't know if there exist any readily made conversion kits, until I wrote this post. A few years ago when I first had this idea there weren't any conversion kits available and the electric cars were mostly for wealthier people, but nowadays the prices have fallen and there are plenty of electric cars available in every price range.

Now, this is still an idea and will be till that charging problem is figured out.


Damn. That 1970 is really, really sexy. Should I just buy 1970?



Damn. I really miss my 1970. A couple weeks ago I called the new owner and Kelly is doing fine. I was a little bit tipsy when I told him that if he ever thinks about selling it, he should call me first. But I don't think he is ever going to do that, since he has also fallen in love it.

So my quest for an El Camino continues, but which generation? Most likely 3rd, but there is this ticking thought back in my brain saying that 5th gen.



No comments:

Post a Comment